1. Source of Vitamin C
Oranges are a very good source of vitamin C and flavonoids. Vitamin C helps to reduce the risk of developing colon cancer by getting rid of free radicals that can damage our DNA. A single orange can provide 100% of the recommended dietary intake of this vitamin a day.
2. Oranges are rich in fibres which help to reduce the blood sugars and the fructose found in oranges also prevents blood sugar from rising too high. It is thus a very beneficial fruit for people with diabetes.
4. Oranges contain a compound called Liminoid which helps to fight off cancers of the colon, lings, mouth, skin and stomach. It also contains Vitamin C that serves as antioxidants that helps to protect our body cells from been damaged by free radicals.
5. A high intake of vitamin C has been found to reduce the risk of heart diseases by half.
6. Orange peel contains the alkaloid synephrine which can reduce the production of cholesterol by the liver. It also helps to fight against oxidative stress that is mainly responsible for the oxidation of LDL in the blood.
7. Its strong vitamin C content induces the white blood cells to fight infection, thus boosting the immune system.
8. Daily intake of oranges helps to keep a man’s sperm healthy as its antioxidant properties help to protect the sperm cells from genetic damage that may lead to birth defects.
9. Eating foods rich in vitamin C help to reduce the incidence of peptic ulcer which also lowers the risk of stomach ulcers.
10. Regular intake of vitamin C prevents atherosclerosis (hardening of the arteries).